A chronological history of Rutland’s jails from 1784 to 2000 is the focus of this issue written by Paul J. Crossman, Jr.
When Rutland was adopted as the County seat in 1784 it also had its first jail built of logs. A few years later in 1792 the County erected a new courthouse and added a new
Additional jails were built in subsequent years, totaling seven by 1981, including a Women’s Reformatory built in 1921.
This then is their story, with accompanying tales of murder
and executions, the end product of crime and punishment.
The history is a full fledged, well written account of Rutland’s responses to deal with those who broke the law, illustrated throughout with maps, drawings, and photographs. A rather grim reminder that crime doesn’t pay